- RSS Channel Showcase 1917316
- RSS Channel Showcase 1458903
- RSS Channel Showcase 9609940
- RSS Channel Showcase 3245644
Articles on this Page
- 04/25/16--13:47: _Black Library Relea...
- 04/25/16--21:43: _Horus Heresy Review...
- 04/26/16--19:01: _Space Wolves Upgrad...
- 05/01/16--18:51: _Black Library Relea...
- 05/01/16--19:27: _First Primarch Book...
- 05/02/16--18:47: _Forge World release...
- 06/03/16--22:02: _Forge World: New Re...
- 09/07/16--18:31: _Thousand Sons Canon
- 09/08/16--21:19: _Raglan's Mastodon
- 09/15/16--20:13: _Horus Heresy Review...
- 09/17/16--23:47: _November White Dwar...
- 09/23/16--10:09: _The Horus Heresy Re...
- 09/26/16--15:08: _Custom Mastodon!
- 09/28/16--11:34: _Forge World Release...
- 10/02/16--11:04: _40K Lore: Stormbird...
- 10/11/16--13:23: _Magnus the Red Daem...
- 10/16/16--10:48: _The Burning of Pros...
- 10/16/16--23:53: _Prospero Custodes a...
- 10/20/16--12:16: _A REAL Chainsword!
- 10/22/16--13:48: _Custodes and SIster...
- 04/25/16--13:47: Black Library Releases "The Path of Heaven" Novel
- 04/25/16--21:43: Horus Heresy Review: Legion Mastodon Heavy Assault Transport
- 04/26/16--19:01: Space Wolves Upgrades are here.
- 05/01/16--18:51: Black Library Releases The Silent War
- 05/01/16--19:27: First Primarch Book Released!
- 176 page hardback novel encased in a magnetic presentation box
- The grey leather-effect presentation box is debossed and includes a gunmetal foiled sigil of the Ultramarines legion
- A grey cloth wrapped spine with gunmetal foil
- A marker ribbon
- The matt laminated covers include a crop of Alex Boyd’s artwork which is reproduced in full in the interior
- Each copy is uniquely numbered from an edition of 2,500
- 06/03/16--22:02: Forge World: New Releases Warlord Titan Parts!
- 09/07/16--18:31: Thousand Sons Canon
- 09/08/16--21:19: Raglan's Mastodon
- 09/15/16--20:13: Horus Heresy Review: Deredeo Dreanought
- 09/17/16--23:47: November White Dwarf has Custodes and Prospero!
- 09/23/16--10:09: The Horus Heresy Reading Order
- 09/26/16--15:08: Custom Mastodon!
- 09/28/16--11:34: Forge World Releases Thousand Sons Transfers
- 10/02/16--11:04: 40K Lore: Stormbird – On Wings of Glory
- 10/11/16--13:23: Magnus the Red Daemon Primarch Spotted
- 10/16/16--10:48: The Burning of Prospero is Coming!
- 10/16/16--23:53: Prospero Custodes and Sisters of SIlence Stat Rumors
- 10/20/16--12:16: A REAL Chainsword!
- 10/22/16--13:48: Custodes and SIsters of Silence Rules Released!
A new White Scars novel is coming from The Black Library
Book 36: The Path of Heaven
Written by Chris Wraight
Audiobook running time 13 hours and 28 minutes. Narrated by John Banks.
You can buy them both on the Black Library Website.
Ok so the Mastodon comes with the following profile:
BS Front Side Rear HP
4 14 14 14 10
This is, in and of itself, impressive! Especially as it is a super-heavy transport so it cannot be one shot exploded by a lucky gunner. It needs to have all of those HP's ground down to zero. It has no fire points, but it can carry up to 40 regular models, though as part of this complement it can also carry up to 2 contemptor dreadnoughts with each counting as 10 models for the purpose of carrying capacity.
Additionally the Mastodon has two access points which are at the front and the rear of the vehicle.
Overview - even before you delve into the equipment and special rules of the Mastodon it has a fearsome presence on the table and this only improves the more you look at it.
The Mastodon, as one might expect, has a plethora of special rules to compliment its hulking exterior. These are Assault Vehicle, Enhanced Defensive Fire, Reinforced Shell and Void Shields (2).
Assault Vehicle - lets start with the simple one first, this vehicle is obviously designed to deliver a deadly payload and there wouldn't be much point to the bloody thing if you had to stand around scratching your arse (or ass for our West Atlantic cousins) for a turn!
Void Shields (2) - That is right! This AV14, 10HP monstrosity also has TWO AV12 void shields. Collapsed by glancing, penetrating and D hits, these can be returned on a roll of a 5+ at the end of each of your turns. Dear Throne this thing is surviviable.
Enhanced Defensive Fire - As long as one unit still occupies the Mastodon it can use its sponsons to fire overwatch, thus removing the negative of having zero fire ports. This overwatch is fired at BS2 for the standard weapons, whereas template weapons inflict D3+1 automatic hits. So its overwatch fire is better than normal! The most effective way to deal with this machine, close combat, just became a less friendly prospect... These can fire only once but at separate units as long as the unit is in their arc of fire.
Reinforced Shell - A lovely rule in a game where often bigger and badder is better. The armoured shell of the Mastodon is so secure that it contain and blast that occurs. Therefore you apply a -2 modifier to the catastrophic damage table when rolling for the Mastodon's destruction. Should a 0 or -1 occur then the Mastodon remains in play but functions as a ruined building, with both doors acting as free access points. Very fluffy and cool.
As you would expect this beast is loaded with weapons and other equipment, lets just start with the standard equipped offensive battery shall we:
Two Sponson Mounted Lascannons - The standard lascannon that can fire overwatch (only its arc of fire) at BS2.
Two Sponson Mounted Heavy Flamers - Standard Heavy flamers with D3+1 overwatch
One Fixed Forward Siege Melta Array - 12", S9, AP1, Heavy 4, Small Blast, Melta, Stone Burner
Stone Burner - if this weapon inflicts a penetrating hit against a fortification or building then it instead causes D3 penetrating hits.
One Turret-mounted Skyreaper Battery - 48", S7, AP4, Heavy 5, Twin-linked, Skyfire, Interceptor
OK so the Mastodon has pretty much everything covered here! Flamers for hordes, lascannons for armour, skyfire and interceptor for flyers and then magma death cannon for anything stupid enough to sit within 12 inches in front of its face! Blimey oh riley!
In addition to its offensive arsenal the Mastodon also has a searchlight, smoke launchers AND armoured ceramite to boot. So you not only have 10 AV14 hull points nestled behind two AV12 void shield, but it also isn't vulnerable to ranged melta!!
Optional extras with this beast include the following: 4 hunter killer missiles, an upgrade to be a super heavy command vehicle, an upgrade to have command vox relay.
Command Vox Relay - While the Mastodon is in play this allows you to add or subtract 1 to your reserve rolls. In addition any deep striking enemy units that suffer a mishap will have -1 applied to the deep strike mishap table as long as the Mastodon is in play.
Super Heavy Command Vehicle - As far as I am aware this allows re-roll of morale within 24 inches. Any one care to correct me if that is wrong?
This will be a short section as this is a pretty self explanatory! You pack it full of death and drive it at the heart of the enemy. There is no room for being timid with this UNLESS you are facing something packing shit tonne of destroyer weaponry. D weapons are pretty much the only serious threat to this other than a Primarch in close combat with retinue. But you shouldn't be letting yourself get charged really, but dictating the charges.
I would recommend the command vox relay if you have any reserve support coming in like flyers, but otherwise give it a miss. In terms of the command vehicle, that could be very very useful in 30k given that Astartes are not fearless, but again that really depends on what you have put inside of it!
So much of how you use this depends on the rest of your force that I will leave that up to you :)
Forge World has released Space Wolves upgrades for 30K.
Check them out on the Forge World Website.
Book 37: The Silent War - A Horus Heresy anthology
Across the galaxy, war rages… but while great battle and heroic deeds form the backbone of the war, the conflict extends much further, into darkness and shadow...
This edition contains:
The Watcher by C Z Dunn
Child of Night, Grey Angel& Templar by John French
The Gates of Terra by Nick Kyme
Luna Mendax& Wolf Hunt by Graham McNeill
The Purge by Anthony Reynolds
Army of One& Distant Echoes of Old Night by Rob Sanders
Ghosts Speak Not, Lost Sons& Patience by James Swallow
The Sigillite by Chris Wraight
You can buy them both on the Black Library Website.
Limited Edition - Roboute Guilliman: Lord of UltramarRoboute Guilliman, the Battle King of Macragge, leads his Legion, the mighty Ultramarines, in conquest of the galaxy as part of his father's Great Crusade. Faced with an alien empire, all his dreams of a shining galaxy of peace threaten to fall into ruin...
ABOUT THIS EDITION
Exclusive to blacklibrary.com, this lavish Limited Edition includes the following features:
A new model in the Character Series has been released.
From Forge World:
Forge World released new Warlord TItan parts and a new Web App for customizing the Warlord Titan!
From Forge World
LUCIUS-ALPHA PATTERN WARLORD TITAN HEAD £60
WARLORD TITAN ARIOCH POWER CLAW £95
WARLORD TITAN SUNFURY PATTERN PLASMA ANNIHILATOR £85
via Forge World (Chris Thomas)
The Arioch Power Claw is the size of a Knight…
A guest blog by Stephan from the Heresy30K forum
1st - The Scarab Occult
- Captain: Ahriman, Chief Librarian, Corvidae Temple Master
- Symbol: Scarab
- Notes: This is Magnus' elite psyker unit and also composed of terminators
- Captain: Phosis T'Kar, Raptora Temple Master
- Symbol: Pheonix
- Notes: Phosis T'Kar went through Flesh Change during invasion of Prospero and was killed by the Custodes Valdor.
- Captain: Hathor Maat, Pavoni Temple Master
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: Hathor Maat survived invasion of Prospero
- Captain: Ankhu Anen, Guardian of the Great Library, Corvidae Temple
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: Ankhu Anen died defending the Great Library during the invasion of Prospero
- Captain: Uthizzar, Athanaean Temple Master
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: Uthizzar was killed by Magus to prevent Uthizzar from alerting the rest of the Legion that the Space Wolves were about to invade.
- Captain: Khalophis, Pyrae Temple Master
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: Khalophis was betrayed by his Tutelary and destroyed with the Titan Canis Vertex during the invasion of Prospero.
- Captain: Phael Toron, Raptora Temple
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: The 7th were the Fellowship which remained on Prospero during the Great Crusade to train new recruits and protect the homeworld. Phael Toron was betrayed by his Tutelary who fed so much power through him that Phael Toron detonated in a warp explosion 1km across, which is also what ultimately brought down the Canis Vertex.
- Captain: Auramagma, Pyrae Temple
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: Killed by Space Wolves during the invasion of Prospero.
9th - The Hidden Ones
- Captain: Amon, Corvidae Temple
- Symbol: Unknown
- Notes: This Fellowship provides Scouts and Amon serves as Magnus' spy master.
- Corvidae: Scrying/Divination, Symbol is a raven's head
- Athanaean: Telepathy, Symbol is an eye or owl (??)
- Pavoni: Biomancy, Symbol is a colorful feather
- Raptora: Telekenesis, Symbol is a raptor's talon (??)
- Pyrae: Pyrokenesis, Symbol is a pheonix
As a huge Thousand Sons fan myself, I appreciate Stephan putting this together!
Raglan from the Heresy30K forums posted these photos of his amazing Mastadon!
Description: the Mastodon was one of the heaviest assault transports in the arsenal of the Legiones Astartes during the Great Crusade, and is still found in the armouries of the Space Marine Chapters of the 41st Millenium. Its cavernous assault bay, capable of housing almost half a Company, is protected both by thick layers of ceramite armour as well as crackling void shields. It also mounts a fearsome siege melta array, allowing it to breach even the most formidable defences with ease, as well as an array of secondary weaponry intended to defend the vehicle as it approaches its target. Unleashed only against the most fearsome of enemy redoubts, there are few obstacles that can stay the wrath of this relic of the Imperium’s bloody birth.
A guest blog by Rob Hill of 30Kplus40K
Helical Targeting Array - If the Deredeo chooses not to move then it gains interceptor and skyfire for an entire turn. Sweet indeed against a flyer heavy army.
This gives you a decent amount of medium anti-tank as a basic loadout but with AP4 you can't expect too much from it beyond rate of fire. Its really designed as pretty decent long ranged anti-air, but again at AP4 you are reliant on full hull point stripping or immobilised results causing a crash and burn.
Overview - A decent standard loadout if you are looking for some fairly decent anti-armour/anti-flyer but not really excelling at either role.
Twin-linked Hellfire plasma Cannonade - 36", S7, AP2
This has two firing profile which are sustained and maximal fire:
Sustained - Heavy 4
Maximal Fire - Heavy 1, large Blast, gets hot
So you have a decrease in range and a small drop in strength compared to the autocannon but you gain AP2 and that is definitely worth it in my opinion. This makes it more difficult to get through armour with beefy flyers needing a 6 to pen but you do get the chance to explode it then. BUT you can also mince 2+ save troops now and the gets hot on maximal fire is mitigated by twin-linked I believe (not sure if the recent FAQ has rectified this?).
There is also the option to add one of two carapace mounted systems:
Ailos Missile Launcher - 60", S6, AP3, Heavy 3, Pinning, Independent Tracking
This adds some nice marine killing AP3 and a very long range on it. I like this upgrade. Independent tracking lets you shoot at separate targets as well.
Atomantic Pavaise - This adds +1 to the Deredeo's invulnerable to a 4++ versus shooting but has no effect in close combat. It also grants a +1 to the invulnerable save of friendly models within 3" or gives them a 6++ if not already in possession of 1. Also adds +D3" to the explosion size and is at S5.
The Deredeo can also swap its heavy bolters for heavy flamers and take armoured ceramite.
If you want a backfield weapon then I would stick with the basic loadout and add either of the two carapace mounted options. The missile launcher will add some excellent additional fire that can target other units, but remember that these will also be skyfire if you want to shoot the autocannons into the sky. Alternatively if you take the Atomantic Pavaise then I would bubble wrap the Deredeo with a Devastator squad, this helps prevent the Deredeo being charged, which coupled with its now 4++ against melta should mitigate no armourec ceramite AND you now grant that squad a 6++ which is not too shabby, at all.
I feel that with the plasma cannonade you need to be more aggressive with the monster and I would take armoured ceramite and heavy flamers so coming in at just 205 points. With the large blast you can wipe out deep striking squads with your excellent BS5 and the heavy flamers should deter charges a little bit. Make sure you have a squad to back up the dread though.
Personally I'm not a fan of this model for its rules nor its aesthetic. I would rather spend the points on things which are VERY good at a particular job. The Deredeo is NOT a BAD unit at all, but I would rather take more specialised units in my opinion... But what do I know!?
The NOVEMBER cover of White Dwarf has Custodes and "The Burning of Prospero" game.
The Burning of Prospero is the new Board Game
Age of Darkness: Rules for Legio Custodes in Horus Heresy
New Models for the Legio Custodes and more.
The Black Library has released a web page with the reading order for The Horus Heresy Books.
Now if they could just organize all the short stories!
The main basis of the conversion is just the front half of a Spartan model wedged between Fellblade sides. The magna-melta from a Caestus Assault Ram I had sitting around fit rather nicely into the Spartan Heavy Bolter turret (though one can bash one from a pair of Spartan exhaust pipes pretty easily also, which is what I'll do to replace the Caestus' gear eventually). The Fellblade side doors were filled in and a 1" drill bit then used to create the recesses for the front flamer sponsons converted from a pair of GW Sentinel flamers.
For inspiration on the upper superstructure I looked to (and used parts from) the Sicaran tanks. The front coupola from a Sicaran was mounted to the right side with the remainder boxed in with plasticard sheet. Various components from the Sicaran Venator roof were cut up and arranged on the top of the superstructure to look 'busy' and to frame around a standard size razorback turret ring. It was then sheathed with additional layers of plasticard on the sides in patterns inspired by typical 30k SM vehicle features.
I wanted to keep the fellblade rear exhaust system but needed clearance for the rear access door so elevated the exhaust stacks to the upper structure, but extended the piping down along the rear access sides. The door doesn't quite clear the pipes swinging straight down, so I explain it via a complex hydraulic system hidden inside which drops the door down first to clear before swinging out.
Various plasticard bits were added to detail out the deck area, with Tichy Train Group rivets liberally added throughout. The fuel tanks are a design I created which I add to all my Fellblade chassis, based on the type sold by Blood and Skulls Industries for the plastic Baneblade. http://stores.ebay.com/Blood-and-Skulls-Industry Blood and Skulls has my master for the 30k Fellblade fuel tank - if enough people ask them to produce them maybe he'll add them to the store.
In all I'm very pleased w/ how it turned out, and just have a couple touch-up areas before it gets painted up for my son's Death Guard army. The only down-side I've found is the doors are a bit low for a Contemptor Dreadnaught to assault out of - but I've built a solution for that also: http://heresy30k.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7852-mastodon-released-today/?p=146664
Forge World takes on the sons!
From Forge World:
This Thousand Sons Legion Transfer Sheet is packed with the symbols of your Legion and is perfect for personalising the models in your Thousand Sons collection.
This A4 sized sheet is filled with a huge number of symbols including Legion honour and rank markings, squad markings for vehicles and infantry, and full, detailed banners.
Buy it on the Forge World website.
I am in!
Sokar Stormbird (yellow), Thunderhawk (Grey), Storm Eagle (Red)
Sokar Pattern Stormbird
Thank to Larry for a nice summary of the newest Marine Flyer!
Magnus the Red is coming!
Leaked pics of the 40K version of Magnus coming out.
Details to follow!
The next Horus Heresy set is here and it looks AMAZING! here are the photos and video to get you fired up.
And the obligatory Warhammer TV video!
I am buying 10.
Custodes and SIsters of Silence rumored stats.
They look pretty awesome!
"via B&C’s StaggerLee 10-15-2016"
According to a mate, these are the profiles for custodes and sisters:
ws6, bs4, s5, t5, w2, i5, a3, ld10, 2+/4++.
hatred, furious charge, rampage.
ws5, bs4, s3, t3, w1, i5, a2, ld10, 2+.
Preferred enemy (psykers), hatred (psykers)
furious charge and a pariah blade which inflicts ID on any model with the psyker special rule and otherwise is ap3.
they will have the pariah rule meaning they can never be the target of any psychic power. and all psychic powers cease to be in effect within 6″ of the unit
Man at Arms makes a real-life chainsword!
You need to watch this:
Rules are out for Custodes and Sisters of Silence on the official GW web page.
But are these 40K rules? That is quite interesting since neither unit appears in 40K fluff as being around at that point, only 30K fluff.